MYP Community Project
What is the MYP Community Project?
The Grade 8 Community Project is a major activity for students to complete in year three of the MYP program at Jewett Middle Academy Magnet. Since Jewett Middle Academy Magnet offers a three-year Middle Years Programme, the IBO requires a community project for eighth graders.
The Community Project focuses on the concept of community and service. It gives students an opportunity to develop an awareness of needs in various communities and address those needs through service learning. As a consolidation of learning, the community project engages in a sustained, in-depth inquiry leading to service as action in the community. The community project is completed individually. The choice of the topic for the project is made in consultation with a faculty advisor. The faculty advisor has the responsibility for supervising the development of the project according to the assessment criteria based on International Baccalaureate Organization guidelines.
The aims of MYP projects are to encourage and enable students to:
- participate in a sustained, self-directed inquiry within a global context
- generate creative new insights and develop deeper understandings through in-depth investigation
- demonstrate the skills, attitudes and knowledge required to complete a project over an extended period of time
- communicate effectively in a variety of situations
- demonstrate responsible action through, or as a result of, learning
- appreciate the process of learning and take pride in their accomplishments
A Community Project classroom has been designed to assist you on your project journey. It will be found on the JMA website with directions on how to access the Google Classroom.
While this project may seem like quite a bit of work, we are confident the rewards will be even greater, both for you as a student and the community, whose need you choose to address.
Step 1 – Proposal Letter
Complete the proposal letter and return to your Language Arts teacher.
Step 2 – Investigating Phase Checklist
Complete the checklist and consult with your adviser. This can be added to your process journal.